Saturday, February 12, 2011

Orange Muffins

This was not my week. On Monday I fell down the stairs and sprained by ankle. On Friday, I woke up with a terrible headache and a sore throat that has not gone away. If you have a week like mine, I have a recipe that is going to make your day: orange muffins. They are very easy to make, and delicious. This is an old recipe that my mom and I have been making for years, so it is a keeper. The original recipe was sort of boring – vanilla muffins – so my mom, who is an amazing cook, tweaked it and added orange zest, orange juice, and raisins. It was a hit at our house. Now, each of us have a different version of the same recipe: She adds raisins to the recipe and I add pecans or walnuts. She bakes the batter in a Bundt cake pan and I bake it in muffin pans. Either way, the muffins are always moist, fruity, and sweet but not overwhelming. They are so good that I can assure you, you won’t be able to eat just one.

Orange Muffins
Comments: I only use ½ cup of oil and add about two tablespoons of ground flax seed.

·         2 Cups of Pancake Mix
·         1 Cup of milk
·         The juice of half an orange
·         Orange  zest (one orange)
·         1 Cup of sugar
·         ¾ Cup of vegetable oil
·         1 egg
·         Raisins or chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat the oven (350 F). In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a small bowl mix the egg, milk, oil, and orange juice. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Add the orange zest and mix. Pour the mix into either a greased Bundt pan or cupcake pan. Bake for about 4 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the muffins with raisins or nuts. Put back in the oven until the muffins look lightly golden (about 15 to 20 min., depending on the kind of oven you have).

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at goodsazon@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Lily is obsessed with baking things ... cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc. so maybe we'll give these a try this weekend. They look delicious!

    Sorry to hear about your bad week -- next week will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if she likes this recipe!

    ReplyDelete