Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mayan Fish (fish marinated in an achiote & orange sauce)

There are some events in your life that, even though took place many years ago, you remember them with vivid clarity. Eating Mayan Fish, is one of those memories. When I was about ten, my parents took my brother and I to Islas Mujeres (an idyllic tiny island in the Riviera Maya). After spending some time in the beach – and of course doing touristy things like taking pictures with a shark – we ate at a restaurant at the beach. No, it was not a restaurant with air conditioning and booths. The restaurant was located under a big “palapa” (an open-sided dwelling with a thatched made of dried palm leaves) and the kitchen was a huge coal grill. On the grill were fish fillets marinated in an achiote sauce (a paste favored in Yucatán and Oaxacan cuisine, that is made from the slightly bitter, earthy flavored, red annatto seeds, mixed with other spices and ground into a paste). Anyhow, I don’t remember if I ordered this dish or if my parents ordered it for me but I remember seeing a big fillet of fish on my plate and tortillas on the side. I put lime juice on it (because I love lime juice and because its pairs perfectly with fish!) and ate a bite. The fish was delicious. The earthy flavor of the achiote sauce complemented the fish’s natural “fishy” flavor. My parents added habanero salsa to the fish, which if you enjoy spicy food, it’s a great addition. Actually, my dad put so much habanero on his fish (thinking that it was other less spicy type of hot pepper) that he was not able eat the rest of the dish. Needless to say, he was quite upset.

Until this day, my family and I still talk about the wonderful fish we had in Islas Mujeres. Since then, I’ve tried to make it at home. I make my own sauce and add orange juice. This is a healthy recipe that is ridiculously easy to make and delicious. You may not have achiote in your pantry but it is a good investment if you like Mexican food because many of its staple dishes (i.e. cochinita pibil) use this spice. Below is my version of Mayan Fish. Enjoy



Mayan Fish
Serves 3 people

Ingredients:
3 White fish fillets (such as tilapia or catfish)
2 tbs. achiote
½ tbs. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1 large orange (juice)
2 tbs. white vinegar
Salt & pepper

Directions:
In a bowl, mix the achiote, oregano, cumin, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Marinate the fish fillets in this sauce for approximately 4 hours. Cook the fish in the grill on an oiled fajita pan (one fillet per pan) for about ten – 12 minutes. If you don’t have a fajita pan, you can cook the dish on a normal pan on the stove. Once cooked, serve with slices of lime and pickled onions on top.

Note. I serve the fish with rice on the side and habanero sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I have been to that palapa (on the back side of Isla) about 6 years ago and have been looking since for a recipe to recreate the mayan grilled fish. Cooking some Dorado tonite and will try... thanks!!
    TMac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found this recipe useful. I hope you liked the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this at dish atTiburon on Isla Mujeres, prepared by Arial, aka Zorro, November 2013. The sauce was slathered on amberjack, kingfish, and lobster tails. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete