Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hummus

Lately, I have been eating a lot of Hummus… as in every day for lunch for the past two months. A friend of mine, realizing that I was bringing a new package of hummus to work every week told me “why don’t you make your own Hummus. You could save a lot of money.” After I told him that I didn’t know how to make Hummus, he proceeded to give me his recipe. Not only that, but the following day, he brought home-made hummus… and it was delicious.

As a result, for the past two weeks I have been making my own Hummus – in fact this week I had to make hummus twice because the husband is also eating it for lunch. At this point, you may be wondering, why are you two eating so much freaking hummus? No, we are no on a diet. We just like the flavor of it. We eat it on wraps, sandwiches, veggies, or with pita bread. In addition, it is very healthy. The garbanzo beans are full with fiber and the tahini with protein and vitamins. Hummus also fills you up and it is very versatile.

If you would like to give Hummus a try, I have a recipe for you. The recipe is very basic – no more than five ingredients: tahini, chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. I am a firm believe that you can create delicious dishes with a few ingredients, and hummus is one of them. The most expensive ingredient is the Tahini, but if you are going to make this recipe often, you will definitely save money. You can add roasted red peppers, olives, or sun-dried tomatoes to the original recipe to give it a “kick.”



Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons Tahini
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz.)
1 red roasted pepper (optional)
Dried basil (to garnish)
Paprika (to garnish)

Directions:
In a blender (or mixer), mix all the ingredients until smooth. Add salt as needed. Serve on a plate and garnish with dried basil and paprika.

Tips: you can eat hummus as spread in sandwiches and wraps; as a dip; or with pita bread.




1 comment:

  1. Hahaha....looks and sounds perfect! I am glad you like the recipe. Now, when are we going to have the guacamole competition!?! -Brian

    ReplyDelete