Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quinoa Salad

I told you last week that I am in a salad kick, correct? Well, I have another salad recipe for you this week. I hope you don’t get the impression that I am they kind of woman who only eats salads. That cannot be further from the truth. Although I love salads, especially during the summer, I am known for my good appetite and love for nachos, pizza and beer. However, when I am not indulging, I do like to eat healthy. And I say “like” because I really do. To me, eating healthy is a way of life and not an obligation or a fad. My body craves vegetables and salads and my stomach gets “out of whack” when I eat too many procesed foods. But eating healthy does not equal eating boring foods. The best example is this quinoa salad. It is tasty, spicy, fresh, filling, and very, very healthy and low in calories.

Quinoa is a seed (although sometimes it is considered a grain) that is native to South America, to be more specific, from Peru. I have read that Quinoa was once called "the gold of the Incas," because it increased the stamina of their warriors. Quinoa is considered a “super food” because it is high in protein, amino-acids and lysine (which is essential for tissue growth and repair). It is also a very good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus. Now you may be thinking, “since it’s so good for you, it must taste awfull.” Wrong! It has a light nutty flavor that absorbs other flavors easily. Thus, unlike kale (which is very good for you, but not very good tasting), you can eat quinoa without wincing and wanting to drink half a glass of water.

Why don’t you give quinoa a try and make this salad? When I make it, I serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips on the side and by the time dinner is ready to be served, it is gone!




Quinoa Salad
Servings – 8-10

Ingredients
7 oz Quinoa (cooked)
12 oz frozen sweet corn (thawed)
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 plum tomatoes (diced)
2 firm but ripe avocados (peeled, pitten, and diced)
1/2 cup Lemon Vinaigrette
1 jalapeno pepper dicned
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Cook the quinoa in water until tender.
  2. In a mixing bowl add the cooked quinoa, corn, cilantro, onions, jalapeno, and tomatoes.
  3. Add dressing and mix.
  4. Add the avocados and mix. Add salt and pepper as needed.
  5. Serve cold with tortilla chips.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like something I'd like to try making. Without the jalapeno, of course! :)

    Do you use store-bought lemon vinagrette or make your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it. I got wegman's lemon vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete