Sunday, June 5, 2011

Raspberry Vinaigrette

I think I told you a while ago that as soon as the thermometer reaches 75 F, my appetite dwindles. That means that I have been eating a lot of salads. But, although I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, I am picky about salads. For example, I do not like croutons in my salad. I rather have a piece of baguette on the side. I am also very picky about dressings. I do not like creamy dressings because they tend to be too heavy, overpowering the vegatables' flavors. I also do not like over-processed dressings - the kind of dressings that are very thick. Because I have such a hard time finding the perfect dressing, I decided to try to make my own. I started with raspberry vinaigrette because I love raspberries and also because it goes perfectly with my favorite salad: a combination of sliced strawberries, mandarins slices, arugula, spinach, chopped walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese. It is heavenly. Even people who don't like salads, like it! This raspberry vinaigrette is easy and cheap to make. It is also very, very good. If you are like me - the kind of person who craves salads in the summer - give it a try. You'll become a fan of it. Really.


Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In a bowl whisk together the vinegar and preserves until smooth. Continue whisking and add the salt, onion powder and pepper.
2. Continue whisking and slowy add the olive oil. Continue whisking until smooth.
3. Keep in a jar with a tight lid.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the no croutons or creamy dressings preference. I'll definitely be writing this one down to try!

    ReplyDelete