Sunday, May 29, 2011

Huevos a la Mexicana (Mexican-style eggs)

My lovely family is visiting from Mexico and one of the first things I wanted to do was to have them over for breakfast. All week long I fretted about what to make. I considered making crepes or tamales or Belgian waffles. Well, my plans to make a fancy breakfast went out of the window when the day before we lost power for over 24 hours. Having no power meant that I was not able to do any prep work and had to throw away several food items. Thankfully, our next door neighbor (who had power!) let us use his fridge and we were able to save the eggs, milk and some veggies. So yesterday morning, after power had been restored, I realized that I had very few ingredients in my refrigerator and 9 people coming over for breakfast. Great! But luckily, I had all the ingredients to make Huevos a la Mexicana (Mexican Style Eggs) - eggs, tomatoes, fresh jalapenos and onions. My husband and I quickly went to the store to buy juice, bacon and sausage to accompany the dish. We hurried back home and started cooking. I looked at my pantry and realized I also had canned refried beans to add as a side. In less than 40 minutes, we had  a great breakfast ready. Although I was happy when everyone kept saying how good breakfast was, the best part was that we were all together. And that is all that matters.

This is a really good dish that is simple and nutritious. Also, it is perfect for breakfast or brunch.

Huevos a la Mexicana
Serves 10 people

Ingredients:
4 fresh tomatoes (diced)
2 small white onions (diced)
2 fresh jalapeno peppers (diced)
10 eggs
vegetable oil
salt

Directions
1. In a deep skillet add about two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the vegetables and saute until tender.
2. Add the eggs and salt and stir constantly until the eggs are cooked.
3. Serve warm.

Note: in Mexico, this dish is served with refried beans on the side and warm corn or flour tortillas. You can also serve this dish with bacon and sausage on the side.




P.S. I did not take this picture - I was too busy cooking. But I promise you, my eggs looked just like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment