Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pineapple Martini

I am not the type of woman who loves martinis. I would rather have a glass of wine or beer. I am reluctant to try martinis because sometimes the concoctions tend to be a sugar bomb without distinct flavor. But about two months ago, while having cocktails before dinner at Char’s Bella Mundo in Harrisburg, a restaurant that is famous for its martinis and fabulous food, I ventured into trying the martini of the day: pineapple martini. I did so mainly because I knew that the martini had been made with infused vodka that was made at the restaurant. No artificial flavors, no store-bought juice. And I am glad I tried it because it was love at first sip. It was smooth and you could definitely taste the fresh flavor of the pineapple, but it was not too sweet. The next day I decided I had to learn how to make infused vodka. More specifically, pineapple infused vodka. I looked all over the internet for ideas and recipes until I found one that I liked. I adapted it, and made my own version of Char’s Pineapple Martini. After trying the first sip of my pineapple vodka, I knew I had nailed it! There is only one problem, it is really strong and you cannot have only one… so beware.

By the way, if you are in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, try Char’s Bella Mundo. The food is exquisite, the service is excellent and the ambience is wonderful. And of course, they have the best martinis in the city. Cheers!



Pineapple Martini

½ pineapple (peeled, cored and sliced into wedges)
1 bottle of your favorite vodka (750 ml.)
½ cup sugar
Maraschino cherries (to decorate)
½ cup water (or more if you believe the mix is too strong)
1 or 2 glass jars

Directions:

1. Put pineapple in glass jar, add sugar and vodka. Cover jar and let it sit in a dark cool place for approximately two weeks.

2.  Put the pineapple and vodka plus ½ cup of water in the blender. Strain mix by using a sieve and put it in a glass jar. Put in the refrigerator.

3. Pour ice into a shaker add pineapple mix and shake.

4. Put a cherry into Martini glass and pour pineapple mix.

Modification #1 – If you prefer to drink the infused vodka by itself, do not mix the vodka with the pineapple in the blender. Just pour the infused vodka into a martini glass and use a pineapple wedge to decorate.

Modification #2 –You can add half a shot of peach schnapps when you pour the pineapple mix into a shaker for a fruiter and sweeter martini.

If you have any questions or comments, you can reach me at goodsazon@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment