Sunday, May 15, 2011

Easy and Secret Potato Salad

Potato Salad, a staple in every summer picnic, can be either a refreshing side or a mushy mess without distinguishable flavor. There are so many versions that describing the dish by itself is a difficult task: it can be creamy, include other vegetables, or be seasoned with a plethora of dressings. I grew up with two kinds, which are completely different. One is creamy and heavy and includes ham, sour cream, and probably a pound of butter. The other is fresh and crisp and has olive oil and vinegar in it. I love both, but during spring and summer, I only crave the “healthy” potato salad. Why? I don’t know. All I know is that as soon as the thermometer reaches 60 degrees, my cravings for creamy and heavy sauces are magically gone. Instead, I crave salads and light dinners (with the exception of hamburgers, of course). Anyhow, because it is beautiful outside and you may have several picnics already scheduled, below is my grandmother’s potato salad recipe. I assure you that people will love it. It may be a secret recipe but, since she doesn’t know how to maneuver the Internet, I thought I would share it with you and pretend that it’s still a good-kept secret. So, don’t go and tell her that I gave it to you, ok?

By the way, I recommend you check http://www.dinnertool.com/, a great website that helps you plan your meals. As, always, if you have any questions or comments, you can reach me at goodsazon@gmail.com

Potato Salad
Serves: 8 to 10 people

4 pounds red potatoes (diced)
10 scallions (chopped)
1/2 cup white ore rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside to cool.

2, In a large bowl, mix the scallions, vinegar and vinegar. Add the potatoes, feta cheese, salt and pepper and mix. Refrigerate before serving. 




1 comment: