Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mango Sorbet

I have a confession to make: I have difficulty following recipes. More often than not, when I use a new recipe, I make changes to it. For example, I may add an ingredient that I think would complement the dish I am making, or substitute ingredients, or change the measurements, or completely deconstruct the recipe and create something completely different. I guess you could call me a recipe rebel. But there are some exceptions. There are a few recipes that are so perfect that making any changes would be a blasphemy. These types of recipes are very hard to find, but when you do, you keep them like a treasured possession. The recipe I’m giving you now is one of them.

In my opinion, sorbet is much better than ice-cream. I guess I like sorbet better because it is usually fruit-based and lighter. When I got my ice-cream maker over a year ago, I searched for sorbet recipes and found about 15 that sounded really good. I’ve only tried one: mango sorbet. The reason I haven’t tried the other 14 recipes yet is because I fell in love with my first sorbet recipe and as a result, continue making it over and over again. If you find good, sweet, ripe mangos, the final product will taste just like the fruit with a kick. It is the perfect dessert during summer: light and refreshing. If you are planning on trying this recipe, may I ask you a favor: do not dare changing it. Save your rebellious ways for another occasion.

Thank you David Lebovitz for giving me (us) a perfect recipe! Cheers to you.

Mango Sorbet
From The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Servings: 1 quart

Ingredients:
2 large ripe mangoes
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 teaspoons freshly squeezed juice, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon dark rum
Pinch of salt

Directions:
Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh away from the pit. Cut the flesh into chunks and put them in a blender with the sugar, water, lime juice, rum, and salt. Squeeze the mango pits hard over the blender to extract as much of the pulp and juice as possible. Puree the mixture until smooth. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

If you have any questions or comments, send me an email at goodsazon@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Call me a rebel.... if I feel like it needs sweetener, I'll add agave. But otherwise it does look perfect! Love David Lebovitz's blog, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete